Facebook ‘revenge porn’ pilot proceeds despite concerns


Facebook says it is proceeding with its controversial ‘revenge porn’ prevention pilot, despite the slew of concerns from security experts and victim advocates.

The company announced the scheme in November last year, detailing the steps users had to take to stop intimate images being shared on Facebook, Instagram and Messenger without their consent.

The process – which required potential victims to send their private photos to Facebook to be scrutinised by “a handful of specifically trained members” of the company’s “Community Operations Safety Team” – drew much criticism regarding its security pitfalls and the considerable burden it places on users.

The Australian Office of the eSafety Commissioner, led by Julie Inman Grant who at the scheme’s launch said the agency was “proud to partner with Facebook”, today told Computerworld that the Office had “provided some feedback about the proposed pilot, which Facebook is working through before the pilot goes live”. 

On Wednesday night Facebook’s global head of safety Antigone Davis posted that testing for pilot program was this week “starting in Australia” detailing a process unchanged from the initial announcement.

“This week, Facebook is testing a proactive reporting tool in partnership with an international working group of safety organisations, survivors, and victim advocates, including the Australian Office of the eSafety Commissioner,” Davis wrote.

An additional detail given by Davis about the “proactive reporting tool” potentially raises additional concern, with the company revealing it will store a user’s intimate images on its servers for up to a week.

Security experts criticised the scheme’s mechanics back in November – before the Cambridge Analytica scandal revealed the personal information of up to 87 million Facebook users may have been improperly shared.

Swiftype Reports

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*